Museum Gallery Blacksmith’s forge in the museum This 1895 portable typewriter was used by a Hertfordshire War Correspondent during the Boer War. Invented by George C Blickensderfer and was the first of a long series in 1893 with “ideal” keyboard and didn’t cease until his death in 1917. Its outstanding feature was an inter-changeable type wheel, giving a range of over 100 different styles and languages. This leather fire bucket (c.1800) was used in the village with a hose and stirrup pump to put out fires started by incendiary bombs during WW2. Fire insurance companies supplied fire buckets to parishes for public use between 1730-1830. The Sun Fire Office alone distributed a total of 10,000, since this not only encouraged fire fighting but generated publicity and goodwill. Infant skeleton found in an Iron Age ditch in the 1980s during an archaeological dig near Raffin Green Lane. It is one of about 18 found and believed to be Roman.